View Single Post
Old 04-14-2006, 09:34 AM   #33
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido
Re: Watch Out for Aikido 'Shihans'..........

There are a class of people attracted to martial arts that don't care for authority and yet desperately want to be an authority. They want the prestige, recognition, and high rank of an authority. Being under authority is a prerequisite to being a good authority. There is an insipid pride and love of self in that kind of a person that should scare the kigeebees out of you. Regardless of how good they are, no one would want an instructor that has those kinds of internal motivations. That's why they hide behind something that isn't real. They hide behind a high rank that looks legitimate says to the world that they got under authority and legitimately proved themselves worthy by other qualified people. That's what they wanted you to think. The truth is that these kinds of people actually self promote themselves or they find someone who will, so they can have what they didn't earn, by being under a real authority. It's base self promotion.If they had the confidence that they were really that good, they wouldn't need the fake rank. They could just have said, "I have never tested or earned any high rank through an organization but I will show you my skills and you be the judge."
Listen, by not doing that, they have already self evaluated themselves and told you what they really think of their own skills.

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."