View Single Post
Old 11-30-2001, 09:22 AM   #12
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Re: Stirring the pot

Quote:
Originally posted by jimvance
And if you think this is a lot of questions (I can put the bright lights in your face if that helps), I appreciate any feedback. I am actually doing a bit of a research project and think that this forum is a great way to gather information. Thanks Jun.
If you want to throw in your two cents worth about the translations of the words, fine, but I am really more interested in everyone's opinions and stories. You know, YOUR experience. Dictionaries are boring.
The problem as I see it (pontifical hat on) is a tendency to take a word and run with it. Doesn't happen here too much with English words as we are all constrained but what we know and what we know others know. Take a Japanese word and all of a sudden you have meanings attached to it that would make any Japanese speaker go Nanni?

The base for any discussion is the meaning of the word whether from a dictionary or a native speaker. A personal spin is interesting but I read the above as saying its really not important what the word means just what you want it to mean. That somehow doesn't sound right to me.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido