View Single Post
Old 04-11-2006, 09:54 AM   #76
Dennis Good
United_States
Re: Religious Restrictions on Training

I see this as a matter of "choice" not so much religion even though that is the reason for the choice. I would explain the way the class worked and what would be expected up front. The difference between this and accommodating someone with a disability is that this is a personal choice as opposed to a condition that he has no control over. The biggest problem I see to accommodating his choice would be the disruption to the dojo and the animosity that would most likely develop. People could be offended because he doesn't want to work with them because they are female. They in turn could start to ostracize him. He could then feel persecuted because of his religion and complains or possible legal action. This scenario may not play out like that or to that extreme and in an enlightened world where everyone plays nice and no one gets offended it would be fine. Unfortunately that is not always the case. I can understand the reasons behind the choice he made and I respect that kind conviction. However I am also the kind of person that doesn't expect or want special treatment and if I were in that position I would never ask for it especially when it is something I have the ability to control.