View Single Post
Old 11-29-2001, 03:06 AM   #16
Karl Kuhn
Dojo: New City YMCA/Chicago Shodokan
Trinadad, huh? Keep us posted. Sounds like a good excuse to get to a part of the world that is not usually on my radar. Sounds like fun.

Peter (hey buddy) is spot on, per usual, as regards the Dai-Ichi and the Dai-Ni. After some investigation (pretty limited) it really seems as though they are bits being developed and culminate in the Dai-San, newly sainted as the Goshin-no-kata.

I've uked for the Dai-go, but I can't seem to recall the particulars. I will do some digging to see where I would put it.

The Dai-Roku, however, may have been designed for none-randori players but contains some fascinating weapons info. Worked it in a couple day seminar and it was a headfull. Something I look forward to revisting (it's on the docks for my clubs dan rank r&d winter project). As was noted, Loi's book and videos are the documents to get your hands on. They are of their time, but an a rich resource.

The Dai-Yon is (Nage-no-kata included) is my favorite kata right now. I highly reccomend that everyone take some time and sink their proverbial teeth in it. There lay great rewards. Really, I can't get enough of it. As an intersting aside, I thought the emphasis placed on the Nage-no-kata @ Shodokan to be very important and enlightening. That kata does not get the matt time it should in most US dojos. My guess is that this will soon change.

Cheers,
Karl

Last edited by Karl Kuhn : 11-29-2001 at 03:15 AM.

Karl Kuhn