View Single Post
Old 03-29-2006, 06:26 PM   #16
Adam Alexander
Dojo: none currently
United_States
Re: Wrong Grade?

Quote:
Liane Guillou wrote:
Any insights that you could offer me would be gratefully recieved as I don't feel that I am going to properly enjoy my training until I get it settled in my head.
Over the years, I've seen several people with dan ranks that didn't appear to be the result of technical proficiency and I've seen plenty of people test for dan that I thought were sure to get it because their technique was so crisp...and they were failed.

I've gone to other schools and watched "san"-dans who's movements were laughable-- I figured the hakamas must of been to hide the shame. LOL.

I've read on this site about "black belts who've never been in a fight." Apparently, for some, being in fights is a requirement of the belt.

I believe that the reason anyone doesn't "feel" like they deserve a rank is because they have a preconceived idea about what it means to be that rank.

If I were in your shoes, I'd reconsider what that rank means.

As a beginner or low-intermediate, a second kyu may appear like something that signifies technical competence. However, the longer I train, the more I see that none of them appear very significant...until third and fourth dan.

I haven't seen anyone at that level (in my style) that isn't amazing.

I wouldn't put so much into a belt.