View Single Post
Old 03-25-2006, 01:21 PM   #40
Brion Toss
Dojo: Aikido Port Townsend
Re: Correct Movement in Aikido

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
Well, I think your reasoning is fine until you get to the implication that it's "males, especially young males", you sexist rogue, you. It's also "senior students" and "teachers" who have their cups full that are the problem, Brion.
Regards,

Mike
I wasn't implying; I was reporting. And I'm sorry if I seemed to imply that only young males were the problem. But of course Aikido is far from unique in having practitioners who don't "get it." We don't expect every architect to be Frank Lloyd Wright probably a good thing they're not, actually but we do expect them to work to the best of their abilities. Architecture is not a false art, despite the less-than-Protean talents of almost all of its practitioners. Nor is music, medicine, flower arranging, you name it. But all of those arts survive because enough of their practitioners keep sending back reports from the elegant edge of things, and enough of the practitioners who are back from that edge get good work done.
So I utterly expect most Aikido teachers and practitioners to be pale imitations, at best, of Ueshiba, and I seek out the ones who appear to be seeking what he sought. Meanwhile, there's enough of value in almost every dojo that I've ever been in to make for a worthwhile visit, at the least.
Oh, and stirring up foment tends to be good for any art. Afflicting the comfortable, and all that. So I'm also far from complacent about people with "full cups."
Yours,
Brion Toss