View Single Post
Old 03-24-2006, 02:22 PM   #37
thomas_dixon
United_States
Re: Correct Movement in Aikido

Quote:
Jean de Rochefort wrote:
When I was a kid, the news reported that "the cold doesn't cause colds."

I spent years believing that...even though it seemed that I was consistently getting colds after going out without a coat.

That was the most blatant experience in my life that lead me to believe that you shouldn't follow science over experience.

Then, within the last year, the news reported "scientists made a mistake." Seems that when you're out in the cold, it activates the virus or something, causing a cold.

Maybe there's something in training exhausted that modern sports science doesn't know about.

I'm not saying that that's a fact, but, definitely worth considering.
The cold doesn't cause colds. It makes you more succeptable to them yes, but what really causes colds is interaction with other humans who have them Usually in the winter you tend to "huddle" inside with other people, unlike summer.

I think training exhausted is a bad idea. Not only is it a bit uncomfortable, it could be dangerous. I don't think the point of Aikido is to "force" yourself to be relaxed by exhausting yourself, but rather learn to be relaxed on your own. If you use exhaustion as a tool and become dependant on it...doesn't sound like a good thing for you or your practicing Aikido. (to me anyway)