View Single Post
Old 03-23-2006, 02:43 PM   #1
6th Kyu For Life
Dojo: Oberlin Aikikai, Oberlin Ohio. Utah Aikikai, Salt Lake City, Utah.
United_States
Aikido in 70 Words or Less

I need to describe an Introduction to Aikido class in 70 words or less, for a college course catalog.

Here's the one we've been using for who knows how long:
Quote:
The Aikido ExCo is an introduction to the basic principles and techniques of Aikido, a Japanese martial art that employs circular motion and blending in order to control and subdue an opponent without necessarily causing injury. Aikido is built around concepts of openness, relaxation, and being able to respond to any attack. As Aikido is not dependent on strength, it is suitable for all ages and physiques.
I thought we could be better. This is 67 words. "ExCo" (experimental college) is the program through which we offer the course. We are an ASU Dojo. Also, since somebody will ask, there is a demonstration we give at the "ExCo Fair," which is where people come to sign up for classes offered through this program, so potential students will see Aikido in action before they take the class. Our goal is to get as many people signed up as possible, because general retention rates for ExCo classes are around 15% by the end of the semester. (Last semester, 70 people signed up, 8 people tested for 6th kyu at the end of the semester)

Here's my attempt:
Quote:
The Aikido ExCo is an introduction to the basic principles of Aikido, a modern Japanese martial art. Aikido teaches peaceful conflict resolution by blending and leading an attack, rather than fighting against an opponent. As a martial art, it is not dependent on stregnth or size, and can be practiced by everyone. Aikido--Peace Kicks Ass!
I dunno, I'm not quite satisfied.

Peace,
Tom Newhall

Last edited by 6th Kyu For Life : 03-23-2006 at 02:45 PM.