View Single Post
Old 03-22-2006, 12:13 PM   #28
Adam Alexander
Dojo: none currently
United_States
Re: Correct Movement in Aikido

Quote:
Dillon Beyer wrote:
Modern sports science would indicate that you would not want to learn or practice to a great degree while exhausted. Your neural pathways develop along the lines they're used, so learning and practicing a technique while exhausted will lead to performing that technique like you're exhausted. You want to build and reinforce the neural pathways while you're fresh, albiet loose and warmed up.

That said, there is a certain, for lack of a better term, spiritual gain that can be made through practicing to and beyond the point of exhaustion.

When I was a kid, the news reported that "the cold doesn't cause colds."

I spent years believing that...even though it seemed that I was consistently getting colds after going out without a coat.

That was the most blatant experience in my life that lead me to believe that you shouldn't follow science over experience.

Then, within the last year, the news reported "scientists made a mistake." Seems that when you're out in the cold, it activates the virus or something, causing a cold.

Maybe there's something in training exhausted that modern sports science doesn't know about.

I'm not saying that that's a fact, but, definitely worth considering.