View Single Post
Old 11-22-2001, 06:52 PM   #2
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo
Re: Koryu no kata info

Quote:
Originally posted by L. Camejo
Does anyone know where I can get detailed internet links, videos or even personal information regarding the particular techniques, attacks and the order of techniques for any of the Koryu no Katas?

I already have an idea of the Koryu Dai San, from my experience with the Koryu Go shin no Kata, but I was curious about the others.

I've never seen these katas demonstrated and was wondering what they entailed, since some of the techniques in the katas are not what I usually use in daily Shodokan practice.

L.C.
Hi Larry,

As you know the Koryu Dai San is actually the same kata as the Goshin no Kata, did you also know that the Koryu Dai Yon is another name for the Nage no Kata?

I'm told that the 'other' Koryu katas (1,2,5 and 6) are very rarely, if ever, taught at honbu dojo these days, but that all of the principles in these katas are covered elsewhere in the Shodokan syllabus.
(Hopefully Peter will be along soon to post a better informed reply than mine. )

The techniques of all the Koryu katas are listed in order on the JAA-USA website but without already being familiar with the katas I dont think thats really any help.

Probably the foremost authority on the Koryu's in the UK is Dr Ah Loi Lee, who has a couple of books and a couple of video's published covering the subject. I cant comment on them, though, I'm afraid, never having read/watched them.

As far as I know, the Koryu katas are also practiced in the USA by the Fugakukai and the Jiyushinkai, so maybe there is a book or a video available from those guys.

Best of luck.
Sean
x