Thread: Sensei role!
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2006, 09:28 AM   #15
Misogi-no-Gyo
Re: Sensei role!

Quote:
Leon Aman wrote:
That is true for a beginner giriasis.

I do practice 4x a week for a period of 5 years, I tried to practice to every visiting shihan (I regret I missed the seminar of yamada shihan)in the country whether from aikikai or from different organization.
Congratulations on your sincere effort. In any case, had you practiced for 10 hours a day every day for 10 years you would still be, ...yep, ...a beginner.

Quote:
Leon Aman wrote:
I love to practice and to learn different variations from them. I've learned a lot from them but I do not claim I know everything about techniques but at least I am aware what is the best variation I can rely on. I'm just a student eager to learn more about this art.
Again, a very sincere attitude to have. Over time, I believe that one moves from wanting to learn many variations to wanting to do one variation really very well. Maybe for the next five years try to focus on doing no variations at all, but rather try to distill the principle from the movement. This of course is merely another way of training.

With regards to listening to your sensei, that of course is up to you. Many times what he is asking you to do is not for you, but rather for you to show proper form to the guy next to you (not your uke). There are many reasons why a teacher demonstrates a technique one way at one point in time. If you don't practice what is shown, how will he know if you understand it. Better yet, many students tend to gravitate towards things they like or are good at and away from things they don't like or are not so good at doing. A good teacher will find ways for you to train the areas you are most in need of training. A good student will follow. A bad student may be bad simply because they choose to do their own thing.

Someone mentioned hanging out a shingle and trying it on your own if you want to do your own thing. I don't recommend that either, for the person considering it, or for the sake of the students they might attract. Simple reason is that bad students will most likely make bad teachers. Those very same teachers will then make more bad students. As a rule whenever I meet anyone in the martial arts I ask them two questions.

1. Who is your teacher? If they don't have one, I am able to understand right away many things about their situation.

2. Who is your teacher's teacher? If a student doesn't know the answer, it tells me something about their teacher's relationship to their teacher. That tells me even more about the situation.

Of course these are generalizations, and generally we can't always be correct so it is important to keep an open mind at all times, even when closed minded...

Bottom line -- Being a student, I would spend more time worrying about the role of the student.

I no longer participate in or read the discussion forums here on AikiWeb due to the unfair and uneven treatment of people by the owner/administrator.