View Single Post
Old 03-16-2006, 08:52 PM   #51
eyrie

Australia
Re: Religious Restrictions on Training

No, Pauliina... you misunderstood me. I'm not saying that at all. I'm merely saying to leave whatever baggage you have outside the door before you enter. You cannot train effectively, at any level, with all that excess baggage anyhow. Nothing to do with changing or setting aside one's beliefs, whether it is convenient or not. Besides, adherence to religious law is not a belief or custom. It is something quite insiduously different.

Of course a person's religion is as much a part of them. But I don't bring my religious practices to the mat or to the workplace, or impose my adherence to religious laws on others. I strongly believe that you can still practice and maintain your adherence to the law if you wish (or are spiritually strong enough to do so). But if that's a problem then the choice is simple - don't participate. Anything else is an imposition on someone else.

By the same token, we could say that the pretext of abiding by religious law is merely a convenient way to impose your will on others.... or perhaps, even to conveniently justify one's actions?

I'm not slighting anyone's religious practices/laws/beliefs, but there's a time and place for everything.

Even within the legal systems of most modern democratic nations, the ratio decedendi almost invariably aims at upholding the spirit and purpose of the law, rather than to the letter of the law.

Again, I say, define what "unnecessary contact" means.

Ignatius