Thread: Wrong Grade?
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2006, 06:04 AM   #1
Kung Fu Liane
Wrong Grade?

Hi All,

Two weeks ago I was one of only two students to turn up to class; the other was a Dan grade who also acts as a teacher. We went through a pretty intense training session under the supervision of the two most senior teachers in the school, and I had a really good time. At the end of the session, the senior teacher announced that he had decided to 'ramp up' the training as a test, and that I was to be given the rank of 2nd Kyu. One problem: I don't feel as if I have earnt it; I don't feel like I know enough Aikido yet, and I certainly don't have the mat hours for it (having only studied for two acadmeic years at college and a few months at the current school before taking a 2.5 year break).

My teacher's explanation was that he had watched me train in my other arts (he is a good friend of my old Tai Chi teacher) and that my grade was a mesaure of how I took instruction, how I approached my training, etc.

Has anyone else ever felt like this about a grade that they were given? Or have any teachers out there ever given a grade for a similar reason?

Any insights that you could offer me would be gratefully recieved as I don't feel that I am going to properly enjoy my training until I get it settled in my head.

Aikido: a martial art which allows you to defeat your enemy without hurting him, unless of course he doesn't know how to breakfall in which case he will shatter every bone in his body when he lands. Also known as Origami with people