View Single Post
Old 03-10-2006, 01:51 PM   #39
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Ki and Technique...

Incidentally, I got a copy of the book, "Budo Training in Aikido" (Sugawara Martial Arts Institute) and looked at their translations of Ueshiba's douka.... and incidentally, the douka are *supposed* to contain secret references to the art, so why someone questioned (on another thread) the idea that there were "codewords" being used is a bit startling.

My personal preferences for the translations actually has to go to Stevens, if there is a preference for literal translation. By shifting some of the translations idiom, the Sugawara translation actually obscures some of the references. "Ki" as used by Ueshiba is not meant to be "breath" (one of a number of possible translations), but is used in the etheric sense that would similarly be implied in Chinese commentaries along similar veins... in my opinion. So "heavenly breath", for instance, should be left as "the ki of heaven" as it's tranlated in normal cosmological references. There are other instances where I think the intent is obscured somewhat, but I don't know if it's ever possible to translate deliberately cryptic obscurata into clear English directions. ;^) Still, there is probably an ideal compromise, assuming the translator understands the background and is able to do a clarifying discussion as a preface, etc., for the douka translations.

My opinion, FWIW

Mike