View Single Post
Old 03-08-2006, 09:45 AM   #26
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Ki and Technique...

Quote:
Joshua Reyer wrote:
Even the best translations are heavily filtered by the translator's own perspective and/or bias (conscious and unconscious). I recommend that you learn Japanese so that you can read the originals, without Mr. Stevens' filter.
I've commented about translations before and I'll mention it again... even native speakers of Japanese and Chinese, people who are raised in the culture but like any other person cannot know all the history and lore, will make mistakes in translations related to martial arts. Over and over again, in my experience, I've seen fluent translators and historians make enormous basic errors because they don't understand the context or functional usage some of the apocryphal comments in martial arts refer to. And I've yet to see any well-known western translartor really admit that problem; although the bright native-speaking translators will often admit that the idiom, ancient usage, etc., of the subject matter may make their translations incorrect. Everything has to be taken with a grain of salt... even what I say about taking things with a grain of salt.

FWIW

Mike