View Single Post
Old 11-17-2001, 10:15 PM   #1
cyclone7
Question Is Aikido techniques applicable in real world?

Hello, everybody. I am a beginner in Aikido. I have a doubt here. After 6 months I have learned aikido, I discover tat the technique tat Shinsei teach me is something "illogical".
(may be it is not called "illogical". Or should I call it "not applicable")

For example, like Katatetori Shino Nage, I dont believe tat the enemy will be so stupid to let u off his balance and wait u to turn/bend his hand to throw him down. In addition, at the time u turn as well as trying to lost his balance, he sure let off his grip on ur hand already. So, tat is no point u can counter him back by doing any technique..(of course, u can punch him directly..)

During the training, my opponent always hold my hands firmly so tat I can do the techniques very easily.. Somehow, I realise tat it is not the real fight or defence. But, if he not hold my hand firmly, I cant throw him.

My Shinsei did tell me there are 3 points I have to remember when doing the defence. 1st-- avoid the opponent attack; 2nd-- off his balance; 3rd-- doing the aikido technique to counter back.

Doing all these steps are very easy during the trainning.. but when I try to use this steps on my frens ( demo only, not real fight ), I found tat it is very hard to off his balance...

So, I wonder whether I do the wrong technique or I have some misunderstand about aikido philosophy ... I believe these are the doubts tat many aikido learners might have. We really want to know if wat we learn is applicable and not only for demo only. Aikido seniors pls do advise us and comments.

We know tat is electron in this world, but nobody ever seen it..

Althought nobody see God, but I know God is just around us...