View Single Post
Old 07-28-2000, 10:27 AM   #22
Anne
Dojo: Kiel University/VfL Fosite Helgoland
Smile

Quote:
samurai_x wrote:
Anne, I've been training in AIKIDO for the last 8 yrs. and as I have observed the most effective way in teaching and especially giving out corrections is by showing the whole group or the class what are the usual mistakes and there respictive corrections rather than stopping each student you see that needs help . Let the student explore the technique first , show him/her the basics then let them try . And it's not really nice for a Sensei or a Sempai to say to the student that what he/she is doing is wrong but rather say it needs improvement or suggest that it will be much effective if he/she does it this way. Always keep in mind that every individual is unique in it's own way , so this certain technique could be easy for you to perform but difficult for others or the other way around.

One secret also in dealing w/ this kind of Sempai's is to always think positive.
Don't let him get to you.

TUOCS
MUSUBI DOJO
KI AIKIDO

samurai_x, this is just what I was talking about in my first posts on this topic!!!
I`m most certainly not stopping students at once if they are still trying to figure the technique out by themselves. But if they do need and WANT help, I give them some, trying to let them get as far as possible by themselves. Iīm not sensei of our class, so I cant show general problems in front of everybody and I think this is the job of our sensei. But our beginners class is very crowded so he canīt be everywhere. This is why the sempai are asked to help, too.

The last posts were about some special events on a crowded seminar where, among others, someone I did this sankyo (itīs this technique you mentioned?) with was quite happy to get some corrections (by showing it to him several times without much talking) until he found out that he had been training Aikido longer than I had.

Anne

"You have to do difficult things to grow." (Shoji Nishio Sensei)