View Single Post
Old 03-02-2006, 11:33 AM   #1
Alec Corper

Dojo: Itten Suginami Dojo, Nunspeet
Netherlands
Question Training over 50

Hello Folks,

this is a genuine enquiry addressed to a small number of people out there who are over 50 and still training regularly, particularly those with a lot of mileage under their belt (and maybe a little above it as well )
I'm going to be 54 this year, I teach 3 or 4 times a week and always take some ukemi, lead the warming up, wander round and practice with people, and pretty much expect myself to be able to "walk the Talk". However, I can feel the consequences of a lot of years of MA, one gammy knee, an arm that won't straighten any more, and I feel a contradiction growing that just as I feel some understanding beginning to dawn I can't actually practice at the speed and intensity that I would like to. This is not about fighting, but about a deep belief that receiving techniques is, in some ways, more important than applying them.
I see a lot of instructors that demonstrate on their students but rarely allow themselves to be thrown, or work freely with kaeshi waza. Some of it, IMHO, is laziness, some arrogance, but in some cases their bodies just can't hack it anymore.
So the question to some of you old, damaged warriors out there is this:
What is the nature of your training as you get older?
P.S.
No disrespect intended, but please no wise-ass remarks like "you're only as old as you feel" from guys in their 30's who have no idea what I'm on about.

If your temper rises withdraw your hand, if your hand rises withdraw your temper.