View Single Post
Old 03-02-2006, 04:37 AM   #264
eyrie

Australia
Re: ?? Exaggeration in Aikido ??

Oh, no, I just thought it was funny as hell, that's all.... an exaggeration of sorts. Perhaps Jean simply understated the number of hours...??? Or Keith's calculation is totally off....??? I dunno, my math stinks.... where's my calc?

If you consider this hypothesis, in Donald Norman's 1993 book "Things That Make Us Smart: Defending human attributes in the age of the machine", Addison-Wesley, he states (unscientifically and unsubstantiated!) that it takes an average person roughly 5000 hours to become proficient in some sort of manual skill of average complexity and degree of difficulty.

Let's say the person works at it for 10 hours a day, 300 days a year for 2 years, well 10x300x2=6000, so a person could quite legitimately become proficient in a manual skill within a 1.5 to 2 years. (This makes a strong case for having a year long intensive uchi deshi program...)

So the casual enthusiast working out 6 hours a week, 40 weeks a year (240 hours a year), will need just over 20-21 years to become proficient.

Let's give Jean the benefit of the doubt, let's be fair and include study time in the totality of what we do, I'd say at 3650 hours, he'd be pushing close to 15-20 years in aikido study, assuming he is a casual enthusiast without any prior experience.

I can understand if he would rather not share his "hard earned secrets", but I can't say I agree with it. I don't think that sort of attitude serves the art nor this forum. But I could be wrong.... OR maybe you need to pay him a lot of money to show you're genuine and then maybe he'll still tell you to go practice...and maybe in 10-20 years you'll get it. I dunno....

Ignatius