View Single Post
Old 03-01-2006, 12:10 PM   #13
tarik

Dojo: Iwae Dojo
United_States
Re: Desperate to rehabilitate ki

Quote:
Joshua Reyer wrote:
I'm assuming you mean allusion , not alliteration . Sorry for the pedantry, but Old English alliterative poetry is my hobby, so your statement kinda sent my mind to weird areas.
Yes, thank you for the correction. Allusion was what I intended (ki?).

Quote:
Joshua Reyer wrote:
I think "ki" is like "humor."
The theory of humors wasn't totally off the mark; it was based after all on scientific observation (mixed in with a good deal of speculation, and not a little superstition).
Yes, I agree entirely with this and you've put better words to it than I could.

Quote:
Joshua Reyer wrote:
Medieval doctors were able to cure their patients, sometimes, even though they had a flawed paradigm. We can explain how we did it with newer, better paradigms. I think that's the goal with regards to "ki" and "kokyuu". Rather than importing a vaguely defined foreign word bereft of its native idiom and calquing it into a new one (e.g., "extend ki"), I think it'd be better to leave the Japanese words in Japanese, the Chinese words in Chinese, and forge a new understanding based on what they were trying to say.

But I'm linguistically minded, so of course I would say that.
There are quite a number of Japanese words that were deliberately chosen and remain useful however, generally by more modern educators. Careful translation of some terms that are a little more concrete than ki and kokyu can give a lot of good hints as to the intent of certain teachings.

Regards,

Tarik

Tarik Ghbeish
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Iwae Dojo

MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."