View Single Post
Old 02-27-2006, 08:36 PM   #62
Kristian Miller-Karlsen
Dojo: Shin Sen Dojo Sydney
Australia
Re: Aikido and Target Focus Training

Edwin,

Thanks for your post.

"you must be getting quite a bit of the money that this slick marketing scheme is generating... I invite those following this topic to note the exorbitant fee's that are charged for seminars... to so empassionately espouse it... my opinion still stands... it is slick marketing of enough good stuff to sell it, but too much bad stuff to be worth it..."

I have at no time been paid by anyone from the TFT group. The purpose of this post was and still is to stimulate debate and have a good time while doing so. I have been honest and open in my discussion and have accused no one of being dishonest or sneaky when they disagree with what I have said. It is a shame you employed this strategy Edwin. I have been enjoying our discussion this whole time and have had no malicious thoughts towards you. None of my comments or statements of fact have been designed to bring you low or discredit you. I do not get angry if people disagree with me. So, moving on…

The point of practicing TFT is to understand what violence is and how it works. We are not TFT'ing someone, we are doing violence to them. I find that this understanding is complementary to my studies in Aikido. To understand violence is to be better able to deal with it.

""Blocking and countering is a very dangerous game to play. This kind of tit for tat fighting lies in the realm of combat sport and has no relevance in the realm of asocial violence."
this is exactly my point... a fight, whether in a ring or in a sd situation IS a dynamic situation that does involve alot of actions and reactions on both sides... even IF you break his arm, it is still possible that the attacker can continue to fight….""

Yes, it is possible that the attacker may be able to continue to fight. The point of getting an injury is that it creates a window of opportunity to get another one. Once we have broken our attacker's elbow why would we stop? We would not. If we were smart we would get another injury…. then another…. until the attacker is completely non-functional. The point of getting an injury is so as to be able to get another, to get as many injuries as you need to be able to walk away knowing that the job is done.

"TFT reminds me of a young friend of mine who boldly stated at our first meeting "no martial art can stop me... i can knock anyone out"..."

I disagree with the first part of what your friend said. No one is undefeatable. "One punch-ten seconds" is a boxing term that comes to mind. I agree with the second part of his statement though. Your friend could knock anyone out. No one is immune to a punch to the head. If he lands one… then its time for catnap! No one is immune to violence.

"and i have frequently choked or tapped him out..." How long does it take someone to become unconscious from a chokehold? Lets say 3 seconds approx. That's one-one thousand, two-one thousand, tree-one thousand… I for one would have had my thumb in your eye after 1sec.

Another note to add to the concept of making someone submit. I have read a story about a man who was attacked by two assailants. Using his convincing ju-jitsu skills he knocked out one and made the other one submit. As the attacker "tapped out" our skilled man summarily released the attacker as he trained to do and was then stabbed repeatedly with a knife. You do what you train. This is the danger of combat "sport". When you are doing violence on someone for real you don't listen to tap outs. You do not train yourself to acknowledge even subconsciously the idea of releasing a submissive opponent. Social conventions are used frequently by these attackers to gain the advantage in such situations.

"you must completely defend yourself, and completely control your attacker..."

We can completely control our attacker by taking away his ability to do anything at all (walk, see, hear, breath etc). To use violence to defend oneself is a sound concept because when we perform a violent act, when we damage a human being and bring them to a point where they can no longer function normally then not only have we controlled them, we have also defended ourselves.

I look forward to an ongoing and civil debate with you Edwin.

Thanks again.

Kristian.
Sydney.