View Single Post
Old 02-25-2006, 04:51 PM   #19
SeiserL

Dojo: Roswell Budokan, Kyushinkan Dojo, Aikido World Alliance
United_States
Re: Article: Apples and Oranges; State Specific Learning by Lynn Seiser

Quote:
Ignatius Teo wrote:
So my argument is why not encourage a broadened learning perspective towards attainment of the same goals? If a student can see the similarities in approach, surely that would aid in their development and understanding of the primary goals and an appreciation of the differences?
IMHO, as in the example of taking a number of high school topics at the same time, it would be unwise to do that prior to the students learning to read.

I am a huge fan of cross-training and broadening the learning perspectives.

Perhaps I am just slower on the up-take than others, but when it gets too-much too-many too-general too-soon I just get too-confused. I tend to not run before I can walk. For me personally, having a firm foundation in the state specific small picture naturally broadens my appreciation for the similarities, but not vice versa. I tend to work for specific to general, not general to specific. Its too easy for me to miss the subtle details that make the waza work, especially in Aikido.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!