View Single Post
Old 02-23-2006, 10:02 PM   #85
CNYMike
Dojo: Finger Lakes Aikido
United_States
Re: Why these techniques?

Quote:
Michael Varin wrote:
A recent thread, "Regarding grabs in aikido," has produced some divergent and strongly opinioned views. For me it has sparked curiosity. Why were those particular techniques (attacks included) chosen to form the body of aikido?

As for the grabs, David Valadez and a few others mentioned that the attacks are merely energy prints. Some others suggested they were ways that beginners could be exposed to aikido before moving on to advanced applications. Others suggested "practical" applications such as grapplers bridging the gap, or Chris Hein's idea that the grabs are to restrict another's use of weapons.
My Kali instructor has said that every self defense system in the world has defenses against grabs. In fact, he likes to demonstrate a response to what we would call kosa dori that leads to a variation of juji garame if the other person strikes. Ac a week or two ago we playe with a knife disarm that felt a lot like sankyo; he admitted, "That one is very Aikido-like."

I also think grabs are taught first to make life easier for beginners. Katate dori, for instance, whether in gyaku hanmi or ai hnmi, is pretty simple and straight forward. But things like morote dori, kata dori-<strike> are a bit more complicated and potentially confusing. A sword disarm .... that is a scenario you simply do not want to be in! I think the progression is that the attacks get progressively worse. That's why you have hanmi hantachi, where uke stands and nage sits. Nage is starting out in a prtty bad spot.

Quote:
What about the techniques? Ikkyo, nikyo, sankyo, yonkyo, gokyo, rokkyo, kote gaeshi, shiho nage, irimi nage, kaiten nage, koshi nage, juji nage, kokyu nage. Why do they exist? What was their intended use? .....
To throw someone down and/or to restrain them without doing serious harm The founders of the jujutsu systems that preceeded Aikido had that constraint on them, and they had to work with the body mechanics from swordsmanship.

Quote:
Why spend so much time training them only to eschew them for kickboxing and grappling methods?
Becuase you like the art? Because you think those techniques would be good additions to your tool box? Because some people have used them in real life? Not me, but you have seen the testimonials in the threads that come up. Lots of reasons.

I see all of the above as options for empty hand combat. They aren't necessarliy mutually exlcusive, just possibilities.