View Single Post
Old 02-23-2006, 03:11 PM   #58
Kristian Miller-Karlsen
Dojo: Shin Sen Dojo Sydney
Australia
Re: Aikido and Target Focus Training

Edwin,

Let me start by saying that I agree with your first point: "Function thus injury comes from performing the technique correctly…. Don't do it correctly and no injury." I see now that the point we don't agree on is simply that you don't believe the ‘ikkyo' shown in the picture would work because it does not accurately resemble an Aikido ikkyo, while I believe it will work because it is a base leverage 1 of the humeroulnar (elbow) joint. I believe that the movement illustrated in the picture will cause an injury and you do not. That is OK by me. We don't need to agree on this point or any point for that matter.

You mention that an incorrect ikkyo will result in the opportunity for a counter movement. Blocking and countering is a very dangerous game to play. This kind of tit for tat fighting lies in the realm of combat sport and has no relevance in the realm of asocial violence. "It is like playing a game of chess at 90m/h". The human brain cannot function at that speed for long. I would honestly say that to slam an elbow beyond the pathological limit, correct ikkyo technique or not, and you will get no counter attack.

"as for the shiv argument... if you don't agree with the block/strike idea... what 'target' do you destroy to keep him from stabbing you, what if you destroy your 'target' and he still stabs you?" In regards to the ‘Shive to the kidney' example: you do not need to break the arm to make the attacker non-functional. Gouge out his eye or break his patella and he will be equally non-functional. All targets are equal in the eyes of violence. He will be too busy nursing his injury to be stabbing anyone. Also, I did not say that anyone would walk away unscathed. The reality of violence is that "yes" we may still receive a puncture wound. There are no guarantees. After all no one is immune to violence. The sooner we act the less likely we are to be injured. The longer an engagement goes on, the more times someone tries to block, getting involved in the competition, "game of chess at high speed", the greater the risk of injury. Buy saying that you will control the stabbing tool so it will not touch you is to play this game of chess. It means that you are prepared to spend valuable time trying to tie up a hand, arm or weapon or even worse, wait for it and try and catch it in flight. The only real weapon is the central nervous system, which controls all the tools (hands, legs, shiv, club, gun etc). Effect control of this real weapon and all other tools become useless.

As your mantra states: EVERY BLOCK IS A STRIKE AND EVRY STRIKE IS A BLOCK. OK, what does that mean exactly? That to me is a response steeped in mysticism and is in itself evident to the cult status of Aikido and many eastern combative arts. Are you saying that to strike a strike is the best block? Or to block a block is the best strike? It is convoluted in its meaning. I could say that: "Every injury is a non-injury and every non-injury is and injury." To where does this logic lead? My guess is it may lead us to our graves.

Fiddling with this
And that technique
Is of no avail.
Simply act decisively
Without reserve!

Osensei.

Thanks again.

Kristian
Sydney.