View Single Post
Old 02-22-2006, 07:31 PM   #6
SeiserL

Dojo: Roswell Budokan, Kyushinkan Dojo, Aikido World Alliance
United_States
Re: Article: Apples and Oranges; State Specific Learning by Lynn Seiser

Quote:
Ignatius Teo wrote:
Given the nexus between information and knowledge acquisition and the subsequent attainment of wisdom thru understanding of the connectedness of patterned relationships and principles, and the average length of time it takes to begin to achieve any level of understanding of any one martial system, how do you propose or reconcile the issues relating to compartmentalized training methods?

i.e. wouldn't it be easier to see the connections, and thus enhancing the level of understanding of and between similar patterned relationships and similarities in principle application thru a number of different arts concurrently?
First paragraph: What? With such long sequential normalizations as an introduction, I am not sure I understand the question.

Second paragraph: While I think that seeing the big picture of generalization and connectedness is useful in a general big picture sense, it does not allow for the distinctions of differences that define one art from another. Therefore, I personal prefer to think and train in them as separate arts until they integrate by themselves by being more state specific applicable to the context. IOW, sometimes I hit them and other times I throw them.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!