View Single Post
Old 02-21-2006, 07:48 PM   #56
Edwin Neal
Dojo: Ronin
United_States
Re: Aikido and Target Focus Training

function thus injury as you put it comes from performing the technique correctly... don't do it correctly and no injury, add to that the possibility of the attacker countering incorrect technique with 'injury' and you see that the proper form is imperative... his ikkyo is weak look at his pinky finger... i won't keep going for that is enough for the much desired resulting 'injury' to fail to happen, it leaves plenty of room for the attacker to resist and counter/escape... and gives the attacker back the initiative... blocking a 'shiv' and disarming or breaking (injury) the arm makes perfect sense according to your arguement if injury is the goal... again EVERY BLOCK IS A STRIKE AND EVERY STRIKE IS A BLOCK... this stuff borders on bullshido/cult status... just the price and the guarantee alone indicate to me that it is simply a new marketing strategy that appeals to folks who have a dislike/doubt of traditional martial arts type training... like i said it sounds good and correct, but that is not enough... it must BE correct, and i feel that while he does have some excellent points that i completely agree with overall he simply misses alot and make too many generalizations...
could we please stop conflating the terms violence=technique... when you say violence you mean punching, kicking, breaking, throwing... these are the techniques of violence and they are indeed intended to cause injury... same as in aikido... if the other guy is technically better at 'violence' then he will win... this is why it is important that the ikkyo be done fundamentally sound... thus your technique is better and you will cause injury... i will continue to point out more fundametal flaws in his ikkyo in future posts... bottom line if you don't do it correctly the chances of it actually working on a resistant attacker become less and less...
as for the shiv argument... if you don't agree with the block/strike idea... what 'target' do you destroy to keep him from stabbing you, what if you destroy your 'target' and he still stabs you?... if you do not control the weapon in some way how do you insure that you will not be stabbed? aikido gives the answer by simultaneous, counterattack (injury), evasion, and control... you need a sword and a shield and some good armor... multiple layers of protection or redundancy as we said in the navy... if your first response fails you must have a back up... simply repeating the same failed movement again and again won't do... attack, attack, attack just doesn't keep you from getting stabbed, but if it is combined with other complementary strategies/tactics ie defense then your chances improve...

It is necessary to develop a strategy that utilizes all the physical conditions and elements that are directly at hand. The best strategy relies upon an unlimited set of responses.
Osensei

Edwin Neal