View Single Post
Old 02-21-2006, 06:01 PM   #66
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States
Re: Regrading grabs in Aikido...

Quote:
Meynard Ancheta wrote:
The problem of how you get from basic grabbing of wrist and forearms to prevent people accessing their weapons to shoulder grabs with no apparent tactical advantage is a matter of the tendency of practitioners to come up with ways to apply technique to different scenario regardless of how ridiculous it is in reality. Meaning once the context of the origin of the art is forgotten many out of context techniques start to develop for artistic sake.

It becomes more of an exercise as to how many ways can X technique be applied. The "is it tactically sound mindset" becomes secondary and the art as a whole degrades over time as other promoters of the "art" try to be creative in expressing the classical techniques. In the end the context is lost and all you have is an art with lots of "style" with no real substance.

It looks pretty, but you can't fight with it. It's an interesting technique, but nobody would grab you like that in real life. ETC.

But this begs the question: If martial reality was the ultimate cause/origin, and if that cause/origin was thought to be addressed via the production of habit, which came via the utilization of scenario-based training, why are folks who came after the "artistic revolution" still likely to do things like shoulder grabs in their training? (For example, Osensei is filmed training in shoulder grabs - even when his art was being called Daito-ryu, etc.)

AND/OR

If scenario-based training was the origin of Aikido's forms, going back further (I am imagining), why punch like a sword stabbing and not like a puncher would punch (even in the old days)? Was the transition from sword stabbing to puncher punching already an artistic revolution in the motion - already a step away from what is practical and toward what is artistic? Was the moment the art was practiced without a weapon in hand the moment it because artistic - stopped being practical?

For me, these questions are all wrong, this whole setup is mucked up. I opt to avoid asking these questions, and thus avoid not being able to answer them, by seeing principle at work in everything Aikido has to offer.
my opinion,
dmv

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.