View Single Post
Old 02-21-2006, 06:50 PM   #10
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States
Re: Sunadomari Quote - Opinions Please

Great Replies - if you will allow me to say. Lots of good points being made.

Here's what these things brought to my mind:

Well I get this view of Draeger's, but can a Budo still do what it claims to do spiritually if it is in essence saying, "Not only is there no evolution, but there is no need for evolution."? Can Aikido, even spiritually, claim to be of the workings of Nature, and/or one with the omnipotent source of the Universe, etc., if it can only say, "Well, we used to be able to martially harmonize with folks that used to attack us for real, and/or with folks that today attack us only in the way that folks used to attack us back when, but we aren't too able to stay with Nature and the Universe when we come up against a BJJ, or a MMA, or Krav Maga." ????

Asking some more: "Well what about if a BJJ, or an MMA, etc., comes up against you in the street - when there are no rules but this person still opts to come at you like a boxer would and not like those crazy attacks Osensei's uke did when he was 52 years old?" Is our answer supposed to be, "Well, please don't expect us to harmonize with that - we do Budo."?

For me, somehow this view falls short and hardly excuses us current practitioners who do Aikido as a Budo from addressing such issues as adaptation and evolution (in regards to technical application, etc.). I think Draeger was not entirely right and made a mistake in glossing over everything with his do/jitsu distinction, etc. In my opinion, we would be wiser by not doing the same thing. I think a lot more goes out than one would at first imagine if one separates the spiritual side from the martial side in a Budo.

I think Edwin is on to something - fighting has evolved. There's no doubt about that - heck - even boxing has evolved and not all of that is related to rules changing, etc. Much of that evolution has a lot to do with how much more that sport has learned about the human body, etc. It like that even in sprinting. Folks have always ran - true. But folks have not always sprinted in the Olympics like they do today. Sports, and the sciences of sport, build upon themselves in many ways and this has brought evolution as "improvement" to each activity. Anyone wanting to go into running would be making a mistake if he thinks all he has to do is run his fastest. Folks today know how to make everyone run faster than they normally would and this goes for folks that ran fast in yester-year as well. Even in boxing, people punch faster, harder, etc., for example, today than yesterday. So I am not so sure that Sunadomari is making things up - I think he may very well be on to a fact of the martial sciences (i.e. that folks don't attack the same way in every age).

I also agree with Ignatius. I still use tenkan, even in our more free training, but when I watch the films of it, I see that my tenkan is almost never the "normal" tenkan. For example, what seems to remain of the "normal" tenkan is only that my hips change their relationship to each other in a similar fashion. As things intensify, this almost always has me not stepping back at all and/or has me stepping back but only with my traveling foot going right behind the front foot or right next to it. However, I haven't made up my mind yet - like Sunadomari seems to have. This execution could very well be because my "attackers" are not needing to come in like Osensei's uke's used to in order to do the same (or greater) level of offense (because they are trained in boxing and kick boxing), or this may very well be a product of my inability to draw my attacker more out.

Yet - I'm thinking here - either way, I feel it would be easier to draw out an attacker that was not trained in boxing methods than one that has.

Hmmmmmm? I don't know yet. However, I appreciate all this discussion very much.

thanks,
dmv

Last edited by senshincenter : 02-21-2006 at 06:54 PM.

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.