View Single Post
Old 02-21-2006, 06:32 PM   #1
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Why these techniques?

A recent thread, "Regarding grabs in aikido," has produced some divergent and strongly opinioned views. For me it has sparked curiosity. Why were those particular techniques (attacks included) chosen to form the body of aikido?

As for the grabs, David Valadez and a few others mentioned that the attacks are merely energy prints. Some others suggested they were ways that beginners could be exposed to aikido before moving on to advanced applications. Others suggested "practical" applications such as grapplers bridging the gap, or Chris Hein's idea that the grabs are to restrict another's use of weapons.

What about the techniques? Ikkyo, nikyo, sankyo, yonkyo, gokyo, rokkyo, kote gaeshi, shiho nage, irimi nage, kaiten nage, koshi nage, juji nage, kokyu nage. Why do they exist? What was their intended use? Why spend so much time training them only to eschew them for kickboxing and grappling methods?

I realize that there may be some speculation here. That's fine. If any of you have researched this subject and can provide references that's great, too.

I am no expert on daito ryu, but I think we can all agree that it served as the technical inspiration for aikido. I recently read an interview stating that daito ryu is an ancient and classical samurai system of jujutsu and self-defense against single and multiple, armed and unarmed attackers. Maybe a look at history can provide a clearer picture.

I believe that these techniques were developed for a reason. What is that reason?

Michael