Thread: Maai concerns
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2006, 03:37 AM   #12
aikiwolf
United_States
Re: Maai concerns

Having total control of the situation does not that atemi, and enter are needed. It means that when someone enters your 'sphere', your 'circle' or encroaches into your maiai---if they attack it is because you allow them to attack, if they attack you control the attack OR you diffuse the attack before it ever occurs.
Proper maiai depends on many factors, and it will be different in each situation, but what it comes down to is whatever distance your oppenent is, know when you can control them before they control you.
Just as you can intercept their intent and diffuse an attack with an eye-to-eye look, they can win the 'battle' by causing fear or apprehension in you. A good portion of any confrontation is psychological. We often practice the physical skills, but neglect having the proper attitude, or knowing how to calm oneself when the sh*t hits the fan. Confidence comes with perfect practice, but in order to progress, we must go beyond the physical.

At least that's what I think. But what do I know, I'm still working on the 'perfect' ikkyo.