View Single Post
Old 02-12-2006, 10:52 PM   #20
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia
Re: Poll: For the basic version of tenchinage, what kind of fall do you think is more appropriate?

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote:
I think this has been discussed before in ukemi threads, for I remember explaining somewhere how I do a 'forward' roll backwards and without turning the head. This is not the same as a 'clothesline' ukemi, by the way.

Best regards,
Since the thread is about the basic tenchi-nage, please allow me to revisit this basic technique.

Assuming this is from both hand grab (ryote mochi tenchi-nage). Simultaneously move one hand 45 degree outwards, breaking the balance at the knee of uke. The other hand is raised upwards to strike the face of uke. Please note your wrist is resting on top of the uke's wrist (uke's wrist should be shielding his face from your strike). This also prevent uke's holding arm from letting go. This raised arm is also intended as a strike to further cause kuzushi.

A good outcome, you should get uke resting his weight entirely on one leg and the other leg is at tip toe. At this moment in time, uke is probably arched backwards, with his head behind his center of gravity. The proceed with tsugi ashi (sliding) movement at a 45 degree angle across his arched back. Please note, as you slide, your hip is connected to the hip of uke.

Using the power of your tsugi ashi movement plus hip power throw uke. For the Yoshinkan people, the movement is similar to our Shumatsu dosa ichi (1) movement.

I hope my description is vivid enough for all readers to form a mental picture. My question is such that with uke broken balance this way, I just cannot fathom any other method of ukemi other than back fall.

Yours truly,
Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.