View Single Post
Old 02-07-2006, 01:34 PM   #23
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States
Re: Regarding James Smith

Quote:
Jorge Garcia wrote:
I agree completely with Clark. Practicing a martial art in someones dojo isn't a right, it's a privilege. I know that in many serious groups, like the previous Federation I belonged to, you aren't allowed to post like that because you represent your dojo with everything you say and do with regards to the art. If you want a private life and private rights, you may have to do it in someone else's dojo. His Sensei did the right thing. All this means is that in the world that James lives in, staying in his dojo isn't worth the price of a sincere apology. If character counts at all, then I would say he wasn't a good candidate for martial arts. Respecting your Sensei and giving an apology is a small price to pay in exchange for learning a martial art. People who don't take their words seriously and who use these forums in a irreverent and disrespectful way degrade the forum and take it down to a level that quality people who have something meaningful to contribute won't want to be here. I think this action speaks well of the Jiyushinkai.
Ah yes, but the right to privacy and/or a personal/individual perspective - the right to say "this is of me and not of you" - is worth a gazillion apologies and (i.e. plus) 1,536,324 dojo.

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.