View Single Post
Old 02-03-2006, 08:25 AM   #5
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Ki/Qi/Chi Resources

It's a good enough book, but there's enough left out where it wouldn't stand alone. Standing postures can be used for health (in which case the body is just relaxed, mind blanked, etc.) or for martial training (in which case there is focused "intent" and a lot of "contradiction"). Standing is to make you powerful and it does so in an unusual way.

However, standing exercises won't give you jin/kokyu skills or the ability to "discharge" force or martial ability, etc. It's a good start, standing, but it's not the complete picture.

I have that book (actually, I have two copies because I got faked out by the fact that they put it out under 2 different names in the UK and the USA) and I recommend it as a good addition to the library, but I think you really need to get someone to show you how to get started.

The postures in Yiquan are, like the standing postures in other martial arts, focused around the 6-directions of contradictions (O-Sensei made a reference to the six directions, so he knew about it, too). The power being practiced and developed using the 6 directions is the basic power, the Hun Yuan qi (if you do a search even in English, you'll find a lot of people offering Hun Yuan Qigong courses from different styles, etc.) that is sought as a foundation for "internal" power.

Just to give you a brief feel for a slight contradiction, try this:

Stand in a relaxed hanmi (and that means relax your lower back, too!!!) with the hands/arms held slightly extended in front, but relaxed, fingers open, palms slightly down and not quite facing each other. Weight is on the front foot.

Pretend that all your body's molecules (just picture little round things about the size of BB's) have a strand of a spiderweb attached to them and the other ends of the spiderwebs are attached with no slack to an imaginary wall in front of you. Inhale (while slightly pulling your stomach in) while you pull backward against those zillion spiderwebs and put your weight on the back foot. You'll feel a sort of "tension" pulling you. Try to keep that tension isolated from any muscular tension in the body (the body should be as relaxed as possible). As you get used to the feeling, you can easily imagine that there are spiderwebs pulling you to the front and slightly stronger spiderwebs holding you to the back. That would be one visualization to give you an idea of a "contradiction" training which requires that you "relax" and not have any muscular tension. The standings in Lam's book have to do with various contradictions in various postures, thereby training different facets of the body.

FWIW

Mike