View Single Post
Old 02-02-2006, 05:33 AM   #23
kokyu
Hong Kong
Re: right way of doing sitting kokyu-ho

Quote:
Alec Corper wrote:
Hello Soon-Kian,

I don't know, thats why I asked. I also see a value in swapping ideas but the fact is you can't do Aikido in print or word, no matter how clear, otherwise mail order "Masters" would be everywhere.
Whoops, what am I saying, they are! Seriously I meant what I said although I have tried to give a small answer, but a half hour of practise together would do much more and out of respect for your teacher, give him or her that option.
P.S. someone said it's difficult to ask questions of teachers, that has never been my experience within the Aikikai, it is a question of timing. If your teacher does not welcome questions I would have a few. regards, Alec
Point taken Alec. Maybe it's just a cultural or customary thing. In all the dojos I have trained, it's a bit rare for a student to approach the Sensei after training and ask questions about technique. Even during training, it's a custom to wait for the Sensei to make comments about one's movements. In fact, my first Sensei was very strict about protocol and would tell us things like "please remember, there is a hierachy here". Because I trained under this Sensei for some time, I gusss my thinking has been shaped in that way. Please do not take my comments as a reflection on my current Sensei.

Having said this though, I have trained in two different Aikikai dojos in America and I admit that the atmosphere is very different. There is more on-the-mat discussion between the partners and greater emphasis on a two-way flow. So, I can appreciate your point of view - and I do realize your dojo is in the Netherlands.

Thanks very much for your extended reply on improving one's command of kokyu.

Well... I've given my comments on why people ask questions in the 'General/Techniques' section of this forum. Would be nice if those who posted questions could share their opinions as well...

Last edited by kokyu : 02-02-2006 at 05:41 AM.