View Single Post
Old 02-02-2006, 02:09 AM   #21
Alec Corper

Dojo: Itten Suginami Dojo, Nunspeet
Netherlands
Re: right way of doing sitting kokyu-ho

OK, Ignatius, I'll be a good sport. I would suggest that he step back from the kokyu ho exercise for a while and begin with how to rise from seiza using his tanden rather than leading his body with his shoulders. To assist in this I would ask a fellow student to take hold of his obi and gently exert pressure in a simultaneously forward and rising movement to help him to feel the relationships between the core muscle group of stomach, back and thigh, and how the mental intention to recruit these first reduces the inclination to operate with arms and shoulders first. As the feeling of awareness of this area grows then move into the first stage of standing from seiza onto one knee. This exercise help to build kokyu through the centre as opposed to wrist and arm action.
I would also suggest a return to torifune with a partner offering resistance to both the forward and backward movement until the student begins to understand the need to take up the slack in the partners arms before moving their body, and how to close the openings between wrist and shoulder and then between shoulder and centre. After the student feels some change in these two exercises I would ask them to work in two different ways with help from their partners: first without any attempt to use technique but simply rise out of seiza with the feeling gained from the first exercise and without any thought of their arms being held, simply extend up and forwards towards the armpits of their partner. Important here is to keep their armpits closed and maintain the curve in their tegatana. The next time I would ask their partner to hold more strongly and then tori needs to concentrate on lowering thier elbows in order to increase the curve of the tegatana whilst visualizing a spherical path towards their partners armpits. Once they begin to see a reaction in the shoulders of their partner add in part one and see what happens.
David, with respect, I think too many people concentrate on ki before they understand that subtle muscular control underlies the extension of kokyu, it is not magic, just training.
regards, Alec

If your temper rises withdraw your hand, if your hand rises withdraw your temper.