View Single Post
Old 02-01-2006, 10:45 AM   #155
CNYMike
Dojo: Finger Lakes Aikido
United_States
Re: Culture of Martial Mediocrity?

Quote:
Edwin Neal wrote:
i agree with your thoughts and the guro's, but i also think that things must change or stagnate...
Well, O Sensei did say that adaptiation and change are part of Aikido. Every source I have says how "personal" it is. But I also think there are places where you don't have wriggle room. At some point, when you change too much, it could stop being Aikido except in name. And it's even worse if you start from the assumption that what you're learing is somehow "flawed."

Quote:
.... the more things change the more things stay the same... it is also not necessary to lose tradition during this process of growth... here's an example that i just thought of... we all do the basic aikido attacks; shomenuchi yokomenuchi etc... but we must also learn and practice other strikes and atemi... you don't lose one when you gain the other...
Probably, although I think you have to rememeber you're increasing the amount of work you have to do exponentially, because you should (IMO) learn how to do those attacks CORRECTLY in addition to getting a handle on Aikido's principles; then you have to overlay one on top of each other, asking "What does Aikido say about this type of attack based on this strategy and these body mechanics?" If you like everything you're doing and you're playing a "What if?" game with yourself, that's one thing. But if you're forcing yourself through that just to prove a point .... it had better be a mother of a point. Almost not worth it from that perpespective.

And even then, there' another question: What do the people above you say about that? If it's something along the lines of, "Well, as long as you hit the basics in the curriculum, we don't care what else you do," you're in the clear. But if they say, "No, you can't teach that," then you're playing with fire if you do IMO.