View Single Post
Old 02-01-2006, 08:02 AM   #41
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Possible Ki & Kokyu Workshop

Holy smoke... I thought I was in a time warp when I saw this thread. ;^)))) At the time (last year) I was saying that I would put together an Aikido-only perspective on Kokyu and Jin and would contribute the 2 days for free if people would chip in on my travel expenses. And if I remember (too much of a rush this morning to spend the time looking back through the posts) I indicated that it would be better to have people with a certain level of experience and, hopefully, with a certain amount of geographic spread (if you knew how lazy I was about doing workshops, you'd understand why I try to do things in one fell swoop).

I've done a few Aikido-only things before and there's a slight problem that needs to be thought about beforehand. In some ways these things can be *talked* about fairly repidly, but even just talking about them involves a lot of complexities. When you're trying to show people how to do them in a logical sequence, making sure everyone more or less "gets it", there are two general choices:
(1.) Show the very important basic things and how to cultivate them, even after the instructor is gone. This keeps the people focused on what they *should* do and gives plenty of time to keep going over basics, their variations and applications.
(2.) Show everyone superficially (but as well as possible) how to do a larger area of the general skills and logic so that they can get an "overview" of the principles. This way, if they're working on their own (i.e., there is not going to be much future help in workshops), they can remember the big-picture and have a feel for which way they should go.

Generally, I take the #2 option because I don't do workshops for a living and I personally prefer sort of a big-picture approach because I'm one of these people that doesn't function well by rote learning. The problem with #2 is that in my experience the "one workshop" approach seldom imparts many lasting skills... far too many of the people focus on specific "cool things" and never work their basics.

So that's the problem I wanted to make clear.

Last time about 13 people indicated that they'd try to go to such a workshop, but I was trying to get a minimum of 20 (which is the ideal number for my workshops, I've found out over time). I stop at 30 because I can't get enough hands-on with everyone if it exceeds that.

Anyway, that was the offer and I'd still be willing to volunteer the weekend, once, assuming the general conditions are met.

Regards,

Mike