Thread: Shodan test
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2001, 05:27 PM   #4
guest1234
Thinking about student's missing the mark on tests reminded me of my first dojo: Shortly after I started, a student took a kyu test (I was so new I didn't catch what kyu level it was, since it had weapons I'd guess it was 8th or 7th). Our tests always started with ukemi, and after a few rolls and falls Sensei had him start rolling over crouched students from a standstill. Got up to four. Having just learned to roll (and they weren't pretty) you can imagine the impression that made on me. Sensei was pretty miffed that the student testing could only get over four without a running start, and didn't hide his displeasure.

A couple of days later I got up enough nerve to ask a senior student at what level it was required that we start rolling over other students. She gave me a puzzled look and I reminded her of his test. She laughed and said it wasn't a requirement on any test, but that sensei had had 'an extra bowl of wheaties' that day, and was just encouraging the student tested to stretch his abilities.