View Single Post
Old 01-30-2006, 09:16 AM   #253
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: Training: Separate the Sexes?

Quote:
Mark Freeman wrote:
As for the ASU I'm not even sure what that TLA ( 3 letter abbreviation ) is. I cant comment on them specifically as I have no idea what their policy states. However any organisation that has a policy that is not being upheld by one of it's associated units is in my opinion duty bound to do something about it. Namely get them to change to conform to the policy or eject them from the organisation. Ejecting them will not stop the unit acting the way that they do, at least the larger organisation have taken care of the situation as far as their own integrity goes.
I posted this earlier in the thread from the ASU student handbook:

The Aikido Schools of Ueshiba is an equal opportunity organization, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, ethnic group, religion, age, or sexual orientation.

That being said, I believe the kind of policy that was under discussion earlier in the thread to be mistaken (as I also stated earlier in the thread), but that doesn't mean that Dan ought to be demonized, or that he's somehow an evil person (as is sometimes being implied). There are plenty of single-sex groups throughout the US that nobody gives a second thought - a lot of them are Catholic schools, for example.

Best,

Chris