View Single Post
Old 10-26-2001, 05:43 PM   #24
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Well first of all we are talking about doing techniques completely different from what the teacher of the moment is asking the class to do. With out a doubt there must be an adjustment based on both tori's and uke's body type but that should be within the framework of what was asked.

There is only freestyle

Well I know where you are trying to go with this (see above) but freestyle is where at least attack or defence is unpredicatable.

Is your teacher flawless? Or maybe you are not very observant? Perhaps you are unable to learn from others' mistakes.

Well considering my level of experience compared to my teacher - the answer is yes. My style of Aikido is defined by my teacher. If he looks at me and says I must adjust my technique so - I will. Anyhow, I fail to see what your above quote has to do with some yahoo deliberately doing his own thing against the wishes of the person teaching the class.

Quote:
Originally posted by [Censored]
Well that's never happened but if you know so much better why do you need a teacher.

There is a time and place for free-style. If a sensei asks the people to work on a particular technique - that is what you should do. Anything else is just simple disruption and arrogance.

Is your teacher flawless? Or maybe you are not very observant? Perhaps you are unable to learn from others' mistakes.

The fact is, in the history of Aikido, the same technique has never been performed twice. There is ONLY freestyle. And if you act according to an imagined ideal partner, rather than the one in front of you, you are not learning anything useful.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido