View Single Post
Old 01-29-2006, 04:49 PM   #13
Aiki Teacher
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Re: It's (not?) all in the hips

Quote:
Matt Leone wrote:
Last spring, I hurt my back. MRI revealed a bulging disc, herniated disc, and degenerative discs, but I seem to be doing OK. However, the injury has led me to modify my "style." Previoulsy, I was studying movements which emphasized hip movements which put a lot of torque on the the lower back. I would use the back leg to twist the corresponding hip to put more power into the throw. In an effort to protect the back, I'm trying to reduce the torque. Now, I try and keep my hips "stationary." Power is coming from the legs. I try to position myself so I don't twist my hips. I enter, driving off the legs. It's hard to describe, but I move by rotating on the balls of the feet or the heels to shift my whole side profile without "twisting" the hips. I could show you what I mean, but it's hard to put into words. Do you have an idea of what I'm talking about? One of my instructors told me that Tohei Sensei (spelling?) had such a style. Do you know of instructors and/or videos of such an Aikido style I'm trying to describe?

I understand what you are describing. My sensei has always emphasized turning the hips. Sounds as if you were twisting the waist before.

If you ever get a chance to work with Kato Shehan, you will definintly see him use the hips the man is awsome!!!