View Single Post
Old 01-24-2006, 03:12 PM   #11
Dan Rubin
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States
Re: Article: Teaching Aikido as Michi - A Path Up the Mountain by George S. Ledyard

George

Thank you for your reply to my post, it sort of closes the circle for me. I especially appreciate the last sentence: "People need to make their own decisions; that way they can be clear about their commitment." I assume that you mean that the commitment will be clear to both the teacher and to the student him/herself.

In the last few weeks I've started looking around the dojo a little differently, thanks to you. I've started taking notice of the many students who are talented, the several students who are serious (serious enough for me to imagine them with their own dojos someday), and the very few students who are truly devoted to aikido, physically, intellectually and philosophically. The latter are not only fortunate to have Ikeda sensei as a teacher, but travel to seminars of teachers within and without our organization.

Perhaps these devoted students will be among the future leaders that you are hoping for.

Dan