View Single Post
Old 01-23-2006, 08:23 PM   #29
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Re: Shodokan, Tomiki, Aikikai?

Quote:
James Smith wrote:
What the heck are you saying? Just because someone might do the Shodokan style doesn't mean they would know what the heck you are saying. Koshiki no. WTF? In Judo you only practice moves for competition which makes you weak. If kensetsu and whatever else were allowed an Aikido lurker would mop the floor with those guys. I don't think the stuff in black is the same.
James;

The relation to Judo techniques is talked about on the Shodokan Honbu Homepage and in more detail in the book Aikido: Tradition and the Competitive Edge. Although Tomiki made a point of not bringing in techniques not taught to him by Ueshiba (keeping Aikido and Judo training separate) there is about a 30% technical overlap between the two arts (some consider it even more). Its not expected for Dan grades in Shodokan to perform Judo kata but it is part of the education to understand the broader relationship between Aikido and other Japanese arts.
http://homepage2.nifty.com/shodokan/en/kyogi4.html

The quote in black is from Tomiki himself. I think its fair to say he understood both arts to a high degree.

I would not dismiss Judo guys so easily. Have you done any Judo?

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido