View Single Post
Old 01-23-2006, 02:57 AM   #62
Edwin Neal
Dojo: Ronin
United_States
Re: Religion and Aikido

I believe you may be incorrect in your statement that pure land buddhism was NOT influenced by christianity... I do not have the sources at hand presently but from my studies I "seem to recall" a distinctly chinese variety of christianity, i just can't remember what it was called and it's not coptic, but i believe it starts with a "C"... and one could say that both christianity and buddhism(some forms) both derive some of their beliefs about devotional grace (faith) from Hindu and other even more ancient religious beliefs... damn I wish I could remember what that sect of christianity was called, but it was more or less contemporary with gnosticism and the coptic tradition in egypt, and thus "travelled" over time...

cut this from a google search I think it was the second that i was thinking of...

Nestorians.--In A.D. 631 the Nestorian Church introduced Christianity into China, under the title of "The Luminous Doctrine;" and in 636 Nestorian missionaries were allowed to settle at the capital. In 781 the famous Nestorian Tablet, with a bilingual inscription in Chinese and Syriac, was set up at Si-ngan Fu, where it still remains, and where it was discovered in 1625 by Father Semedo, long after Nestorianism had altogether disappeared, leaving not a rack behind.

Manichaeans.--In A.D. 719 an ambassador from Tokharestan arrived at the capital. He was accompanied by one Ta-mou-she, who is said to have taught the religion of the Chaldean Mani, or Manes, who died about A.D. 274. In 807 the Manichaean sect made formal application to be allowed to have recognised places of meeting; shortly after which they too disappear from history.

My main point is that (I believe) there was MUCH more interaction between ancient cultures than most modern scholars believe... remember we are looking back a long time and have little evidence to go on so it is understandable that most scholars are "conservative" in their estimates and beliefs

the "dates" of pure land buddhism in china run from about the first century c.e. thru the 6th c.e. with reference to it originating in India...

Personally I think it all got mixed together both going east and west...
just my two cents

Edwin Neal