View Single Post
Old 01-22-2006, 04:23 PM   #25
LouieLouie
Dojo: A´kido Mochizuki - LÚvis, Qc, Canada
Canada
Re: Towards a unified A´kido ?

Quote:
Edwin Neal wrote:
I do think an effort to unify aikido SHOULD be made for a variety of reasons... the most notable is the Mcdojo where some guy with little or no true knowledge or authority to teach starts claiming to TEACH aikido.
Yep, that's the point. One school goes with hakama. The other one not. Some at 3rd kyu. Some encourages comptetition. The others not. Some doesn't like atemis, others encourage them. The problem is that I can go on and on about this.

This variety, yes, can be considered as so many rich contributions to the art, but still, one can't help thinking that "anybody" can come up and say what he's doing in his Dojo is called A´kido since it is not possible to define precisely what is the "true" A´kido.

IMHO, I can't help to think that isn't there any need for somebody to draw the line somewhere ?

And I will add the fact that for the beginner, entering into A´kido is very confusing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still very happy with A´kido. I'm beginning, but very passionate. I just would like to send a message, as somebody who's starting and willing to go a long way into this, that some consolidation wouldn't hurt.

Just my two cents.

Thanks.
Louis.