Thread: Gokyo-why?
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2006, 05:31 AM   #18
Dazzler
Dojo: Templegate Dojo, bristol & Bristol North Aikido Dojo
Location: Bristol
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 639
England
Offline
Re: Gokyo-why?

Quote:
Ian Dodkins wrote:
Saito shows in one of his videos how someone with a knife (blade prtruding from little finger end) produce nikkyo on nage when you attempt ikkyo; blade goes over nages wrist to the outside.

Goykyo prevents this - however I think it is mechanically slightly worse as the thumb rather than the hand may get more pressure from the downward attack (thumb being weaker) if you are not careful or blending well.

Also gokyo tends to be done with the blade to your left slightly - by directing with non grabbing hand (so you are not underneath it and thus get don't killed if you miss). If you do this with ikkyo it is weaker and it often exposes your rib cage beneath the grabbing

hand (since it produces something more like a karate block)..
This agrees pretty much with how I've been taught. The turning of the wrist enables a blade to be turned away from tori. This allows the execution of ikkyo style tenkan (whatever variation floats your boat) while keeping the business end of any weapon away from Tori.

Quote:
Ian Dodkins wrote:
Practically, 60% of people attacked with knives don't realise until after the attack. Also, any skilled knife-fighter will conceal the weapon and probably strike you first with their other fist (or grab you). Thus I hate to seperate weapon from unarmed responses (aikido rarely does seperate them).

Although ikkyo and irimi-nage (I believe) are the very core of aikido, all the techniques are part of one whole. Removing it would be like removing kokyu-nage. From something like a shoulder grab, it can sometimes be more convenient to go for a nikkyo, but if the arm locks out and the hand releases this can easily flow into a gokyo.

I certainly think all the individual technique practise is just so we don't get shocked when the techniques spontaneously appear from free-style (blending) aikido practise.
I'm sure this has been covered aplenty.....but a skilled knife user will if they seriously mean to use it, impale you while smiling in your face. There will be no warning.

A mugger will most likely show you the blade to get your wallet...no need to get themselves all messy with your blood after all.

Which leaves untrained attackers inflamed by emotion flailing about with weapons and putting themselves and everyone about in danger.

In this case you might get to see the weapon and make a more conscious choice of response.

Of course in life there is no black and white and not everyone easily falls into the categories above...I'll suggest a sensible bottom line is don't fool yourself into thinking dojo practice makes you able to work against a knife. It may give you an edge (pun intented!) on an untrained attacker especially if he is unaware of your secret talents ...(dodgy cross reference to other thread on secret aikido by bokken carrier with a kamiza on his desk ). But all it does is improve the ratio....a 99% chance you will live still leaves a 1% chance you won't. ( ( x 99 or x 1)

So who's for russian roulette with a revover with 100 barrels?

I think this line of thinking is behind our treatment of gokyo as a primarily ura technique. Who in their right mind would go forward onto a blade ? far better to just walk away if the option exists.

I agree with Ian that techniques should have same base whether with or without weapons...minor adjustments will be required just as are found when changing from yokomen to shomen for instance. But essentially its all the same.


Friday musings over...dissect at your leisure.

D
  Reply With Quote