View Single Post
Old 01-20-2006, 03:35 AM   #8
DaveO
Dojo: Great Wave Aikido
Canada
Re: Stanislavsky and Ki

Hello all - some interesting replies so far; please let me respond.

Quote:
Why don't you ask your sensei to try his/her ki movement on "animal" when he's there to give seminar?
Whatever spiritual nature you choose to give to ki; at their core 'ki exercises' teach one to move in fundamentally effective ways. In other words; try attacking Marc without using -as you call it - 'ki movement'.

Note: I use the word 'fundamental' in a specific way. Refer to this page for the definition of basics vs. fundamentals I choose to use.

Quote:
If you're comparing Shin Shin Toitsu Aikido to the Stanislavsky Method, you need to recognize one thing. The Stanislavsky Method is one approach to acting. It is not Acting. Similarly the Ki approach to Aikido developed by Koichi Tohei is one approach to Aikido. It is not Aikido.

Within the Ki/Chi/Qi/Prana approach to movement, there are many many schools of thought and disciplines. This concept crosses both borders and centuries of thought. To narrowly define it is to eliminate the possibilities that others have discovered.
Yes...but at no time have I suggested that there is only one right answer. I merely isolated one aspect for comparison. There are many right answers - but there are also many wrong answers; and the difference between the two is a matter of demonstrable effect. In other words; while practicioners of one style of aikido often 'dis' another style; claiming it is wrong, or aikidoists laugh at Tai chi, Karate or other styles for not being members of the One True Faith; they're showing their own ignorance. These styles exist because they have good valid teaching and their approach - while different from 'us' - is equally valid.
For a wrong approach however; one need only look as far as Yellow Bamboo - which is not an extreme example; merely the one we choose to laugh at because they made their little video spots available to public download. (They've since removed them.)

Quote:
So Brando's Stanley screaming "Stella" was sort of a Stanislavskian kiai?

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.
ROFL! Oh great thanks - now I'm going to break out in giggles every time I thow Streetcar into the DVD player!

Quote:
I heard that Sir Lawrence Olivier, observing Dustin Hoffman going through his Method exercises preparing for Marathon Man, bemusedly inquired, "Wouldn't it be easier to simply act?"
I heard about that at one time - well; refer to Ted's post: different people; different styles, different strengths.

Thanks so far folks.

Answers are only easy when they're incomplete.