View Single Post
Old 01-15-2006, 08:46 PM   #45
ElizabethCastor

Dojo: Castle Rock Aikido
United_States
Re: Standards of testing???

Hey Edwin,

I see your point, that when you happen upon a dojo that sells aikido instruction completely unconnected with the aikido from O'Sensei... AKA "frauds"... there is a sense of uneasiness. If I were in a situation like that I would try it out a few times, ask some questions (of the sesnsei, of the students, of aikidoka I know and trust, etc) to get a feel for the situation. If I'm still feeling uneasy I would find a new place to practice. I may (depending on the circumstances) offer a book, pamphlet, this website or other resources (that *I* consider reliable) on aikido. I would probably discourage anybody checking things out from going to this place. And I would leave the situation alone from there. I just don't think that it's my place to tell someone that they can't teach aikido.

It sounds like that was how you approached the above scenario. And I have had sempai and sensei guide me here and there in regards to checking out other places. So, it feels like the tradition is a grass roots, word-of-mouth thing anyway... and it seems pretty respectful to me.

As for reconciliation... I have seen videos of the Aikido Friendship Seminars (which were held a while ago) and other summits/seminars on a HUGE scale held in Japan and other places. These seem to offer the closest thing to your idea of getting together. Basicly, all the different styles, Sensei and Shihan are invited to participate and provide a demonstration so that anyone who comes can listen, learn and harmonize. I've only seen some of the footage, and other will undoubtedly have better details and information. Hopefully they will post here too!
Plus, I think the the whole getting together thing happens more often than you think, its just at that grassroots level though. Senesi all know who's who in their general region and I think that they talk to each other pretty often.

My personal example here in Denver shows the interconnectedness (how's THAT for a big word!) of my own training. I train 3 days per week at my HOME dojo {aikikai}, but I go Thursdays to an ASU dojo that is housed in an unafilliated dojo. The ASU guys needed the space and found a community ready and willing to help. Today I went to help the ASU guys building the new dojo in a space they just leased. This new dojo will house not only the ASU family but a Ki Society Dojo on the off days too. Students are encouraged to check out this alternate style, learn, grow and share with the other ASU students (as appropriate). There is alson a Denver Aikido Summit held every spring that seeks to bring together as many people as want to come. I'd love to know what "comming together" events other regions/areas/places have!

Elizabeth

Last edited by ElizabethCastor : 01-15-2006 at 08:48 PM.