View Single Post
Old 01-13-2006, 08:34 PM   #27
James Kelly
Dojo: Glendale Aikikai
United Nations
Re: Standards of testing???

Quote:
Edwin Neal wrote:
a quick anecdote: [...] We did the "waza" as demonstrated and as we practiced it my partner and I added our aiki to it ie if he did something like kotegaeshi we slowly did a kote gaeshi.
In my opinion, you missed out... let your preconceived idea of what aikido is get in the way of possibly learning something. How do you know how much aikido training this guy had? Might have been very little, might have been none, but he had training in other arts and so had a different take on even little akido he knew. By just doing your own thing you lost the opportunity to see what he had to say. It's a conversation. He said, ‘hi' and you said, ‘where we come from, we say hello.' I'm not saying it might not have been a complete waste of time, but you lost your chance to find out.
Quote:
Edwin Neal wrote:
shouldn't we have some kind of authority as Aikidoka to make sure if you say you teach aikido that you do?
Absolutely not. Aikido already has too much centralization in my opinion. Who's style do we use as a base line? And who are ‘we' in the first place? If the guy wants to say he does Aikido, let him. How exactly does it affect your training?
Quote:
Edwin Neal wrote:
But could we just use a base line standard for shodan? say we all use one set of minimum requirements that could be added to but not abridged? or should we have some umbrella authority that recognized "authorized" instructors?
The last thing we need is a bureaucracy defining what is the proper way to do kote-gaeshi. (It's a kind of funny image though... everyone getting nervous because someone from the Ministry for the Protection of Purity in Technique is scheduled to show up and tell everyone exactly how the techniques should be done).
Quote:
Edwin Neal wrote:
there is only one aikido from osensei the different organizations came as a result of personalities and politics for the most part...'
Yes and no. Yes the organizations are mostly personal and political, but there is not only one aikido from O Sensei. He taught different things at different times in different places and even to different people in the same dojo. O Sensei's aikido was vast and varied and continues on as a living breathing art that changes each time someone new puts on a gi. He was one man with one body, and a set of students with generally a common cultural background. Transplant those movements into different bodies... try to use those movements on people with different cultures of movement... and you get something new. What works for you might not work for me. The only way to tell is to put in the hours and see how it goes.