View Single Post
Old 01-13-2006, 12:06 AM   #45
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Re: Grading question advice please

Quote:
Edwin Neal wrote:
if you ARE performing at that level then you ARE asked to test... so you ARE performing
For many people a formal test is the most stressfull time they will ever have to perform aikido techniques. If they are unable to perform them at a reasonable level under this stress they may need more practice.
I see merit in on-the-spot testing and I see merit in formal testing. Simple fact is my Sensei wants formal tests so we do formal tests.

Quote:
Edwin Neal wrote:
as to fees ... i understand there are costs for a school, thats okay, but sometimes ... well greedy mcsensei has 36 kyu ranks and most people fail the first time you test for each rank ... etc... etc...gimme some mo money....
Don't get me wrong, I agree with you. I also don't like it when I get price gouged by a mechanic, or a plumber, etc. On the flip side the sensei really shouldn't have to cover the schools expenses out of pocket. Hell, I got no problem with them making some money at it. I think this can be done fairly to both the sensei and the students.

Quote:
Edwin Neal wrote:
there were no colored belts in "traditional schools" that is an american mcdojo thing...
From JudoInfo.com:
Quote:
Other colored belts for students who had not yet achieved black belt originated later, when Judo began being practiced outside of Japan. Mikonosuke Kawaishi is generally regarded as the first to introduce various colored belts in Europe in 1935 when he started to teach Judo in Paris. He felt that western students would show greater progress if they had a visible system of many colored belts recognizing achievement and providing regular incentives. This system included white, yellow, orange, green, blue, and purple belts before the traditional brown and black belts.
So apparently it was a French thing and after reading his bio, I really don't think Mikonosuke Kawaishi could be considered a McSensei.

Quote:
Edwin Neal wrote:
... my shihan puts on his tattered old black fading to grey belt
As does mine. He'll also replace them if they reach a point where they need replacing.

Quote:
Edwin Neal wrote:
maybe you'll notice the difference one day...
And maybe you'll be able to state your points without coming across like pompous, self-important ass one day...

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."